With 49,881 new COVID-19 infections in the past 24 hours, India’s total cases surged to 80,40,203. While the death toll mounted to 1,20,527 after 517 new deaths reported in 24 hours.
Now the total active cases are 6,03,687 after a decrease of 7116 in the last 24 hours, while the total cured cases are 73,15,989 with 56,480 new discharges in the last 24 hours.
Here are the top 10 developments in India this morning:
1. Union Health Ministry on Wednesday said that with focussed strategy and proactive as well as calibrated measures of the Centre along with the States and UTs, India has sustained its global position of being the country with one of the lowest cases per million population and deaths per million population.
2. India’s average daily COVID-19 fatality is continuously decreasing since the past six weeks. Steadily falling Case Fatality Rate (1.5% at present) has positioned India globally as the country with one of the lowest CFR: Ministry of Health
3. Delhi on Wednesday reported 5,673 fresh positive cases – highest single-day spike – and 40 deaths. The total case tally now stands at 3,70,014, including 3,34,240 recoveries, 29,378 active cases and 6,396 deaths: Delhi Government
4. Karnataka reported 3,146 fresh positive cases and 55 deaths on Wednesday. The total number of positive cases in the state now stands at 8,12,784, including 68,161 active cases, 7,33,558 recoveries and 11,046 deaths so far: Karnataka Government
5. West Bengal reported 3,924 new COVID-19 cases and 60 deaths on Wednesday. The total number of positive cases in the state now stands at 3,61,703, including 37,111 active cases, 3,17,928 discharged cases and 6,664 deaths so far: West Bengal Government
6. Maharashtra reported 6,738 new COVID-19 cases, 8,430 recoveries and 91 deaths, as per State’s Public Health Department. The COVID-19 tally of the state rose to 16,60,766, with 14,86,926 recoveries, 43,554 deaths and 1,29,746 active cases.
7. Union Minister Smriti Irani on Wednesday said she has tested positive for the coronavirus.
It is rare for me to search for words while making an announcement; hence here’s me keeping it simple — I’ve tested positive for #COVID and would request those who came in contact with me to get themselves tested at the earliest 🙏
— Smriti Z Irani (@smritiirani) October 28, 2020
8. Haryana reported 1,518 new positive cases and eight deaths on Wednesday. The total number of positive cases in the state is now 1,62,223, including 11,014 active cases, 1,49,451 recoveries and 1,758 deaths: Haryana Government
9. Assam reported 448 new COVID-19 cases and 1,487 discharges on Wednesday. Total cases in the State rise to 2,05,237, including 1,92,514 discharges and 917 deaths. Active cases at 11,803: State Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma
10. Punjab reported 528 new COVID-19 cases, 356 discharged cases and 20 deaths, taking total positive cases to 1,32,263 till October 28, including 1,23,866 discharges, 4,239 active cases & 4,158 deaths: State Health Department