In his seventh address to the nation, Prime Minister Narendra Modi urged 1.3 billion Indians not to let their guard down this festival season.
Urging people to maintain caution he said, while the lockdown may have ended, coronavirus still lingers on.
“In this festive season, markets are bright again but we need to remember that the lockdown might have ended but COVID-19 still persists. With efforts of every Indian over last 7-8 months, India is in a stable situation we must not let it deteriorate,” he said during his 12-minute speech.
Sharing a message with my fellow Indians. https://t.co/tNsiPuEUP3
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) October 20, 2020
HIGHLIGHTS OF PM MODI’S SPEECH
- Today I want to tell our media and social media colleagues that whatever work you do to spread awareness about following Covid guidelines will be the biggest service for the nation.
- We are moving forward through a very difficult time. Even the slightest carelessness can stop our progress and can spoil our happiness.
- When dispensing life’s responsibilities and maintaining caution need to go hand in hand, it is only then that happiness stays in life.
- No laxity until cure comes. Government is also working to ensure that whenever the COVID-19 vaccine comes, it reaches all Indians as quickly as possible.
- After many years, work is being done on a war footing to save mankind. Several countries are working on this. Even Indian scientists are working hard to produce a COVID-19 vaccine. Work is being done on several COVID-19 vaccines in India. Some of these are even in advanced stages of trials.
- Till we succeed fully, please don’t be negligent. Till the COVID-19 vaccine does not come, we should not let our fight against this pandemic weaken.
- If you are careless, leaving your home without a mask, you are putting yourself, your family, your children and the elderly in danger.
- In recent times, we have all seen many pictures, videos in which it is clear that many people have stopped taking precautions now. This is not right.
- Today the recovery rate in the country is good, the fatality rate is low. India is succeeding in saving the lives of more of its citizens than the resource-rich countries of the world. The growing number of tests has been a major strength in the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic.
- India has a facility of more than 90 lakh beds for COVID-19 patients. There are 12,000 quarantine centres, around 2,000 Corona testing labs. Number of tests will cross 10 crore soon. In our fight against COVID-19, rise in the number of tests has been our strength.
- But we should not forget that while the lockdown has gone, the virus has not. In the past 7-8 months, India has managed to stabilise due to the efforts of every single Indian. We must not let the situation deteriorate again.
- Economic activities are also increasing rapidly over time. Most of us are stepping out of our homes every day to fulfil our responsibilities, to speed up life again. This season of festivals is also slowly returning spark and light to the markets.
- In the fight against coronavirus, the people of India have come a long way from the Janata Curfew to today.