India reported a spike of 62,212 new COVID-19 cases and 837 deaths in the last 24 hours, taking the total case tally to 74,32,681.
There are 7,95,087 active cases while 65,24,596 people have been cured/discharged/migrated. The death toll from the disease has now climbed to 1,12,998 deaths, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
Here are the top 10 developments in India this morning:
1. Maharashtra reported 11,447 new COVID-19 cases, 13,885 discharged cases and 306 deaths on Friday. Total positive cases at 15,76,062, including 13,44,368 discharges, 1,89,715 active cases and 41,502 deaths: State Health Department
2. India scales an unprecedented peak. Active cases drop below the 8L mark for the first time in 1.5 months: Health Ministry
India scales an unprecedented peak.
ACTIVE CASES drop below the 8L mark for the first time in 1.5 months. pic.twitter.com/dlI9thleFE
— Ministry of Health (@MoHFW_INDIA) October 17, 2020
3. Karnataka reported 7,542 new cases, 73 deaths and 8,580 discharges on Friday. Total COVID-19 cases in the state rise to 7,51,390, including 10,356 deaths and 6,28,588 discharges. Active cases stand at 1,12,427: Government of Karnataka
4. 979 discharges and 26 deaths reported in Punjab on Friday. The COVID-19 tally in the state rose to 1,26,737, including 1,16,165 cured patients and 3,980 deaths. Active cases stand at 6592: Government of Punjab
5. 3,428 new COVID-19 cases, 22 deaths and 3,197 recoveries/discharges reported in Delhi on Friday. Total cases here rose to 3,24,459, including 2,95,699 recoveries/discharges and 5946 deaths. Active cases stand at 22,814: Delhi Govt
6. Gujarat reported 1,191 new COVID-19 cases, 11 deaths and 1,279 discharges/recoveries on Friday. Total cases now at 1,57,474, including 1,39,149 recoveries, 14,705 active cases and 3,620 deaths: State Health Department
7. Tamil Nadu reported 57 deaths and 4,389 new COVID-19 cases, taking the total number of cases in the state to 6,79,191. The death toll is at 10,529. Moreover, 6,27,703 people have been discharged in the state so far, including 5,245 people discharges on Friday: State Health Department
8. Kerala reported 7,283 new COVID-19 cases, taking active cases in the state to 95,008. A total of 2,28,998 people have recovered until now: State Government
9. Solidarity Therapeutics Trial was conducted, under the aegis of WHO in which ICMR is an active partner, on Remdesivir, Interferon β1a, Lopinavir/Ritonavir & Hydroxychloroquine. The interim analysis showed no benefits of Remdesivir in any groups of #COVID19 patients: ICMR
10. Uttarakhand reported 549 new COVID-19 cases on Friday, 524 patients cured. Total cases in the state rose to 57,042, including 50,155 recoveries and 829 deaths: Uttarakhand State Control Room