The number of coronavirus cases recorded around the world has now climbed to 29.8 million, according to the Johns Hopkins University tracker. Deaths from the virus stand at 940,651. However, over 20 million people have recovered from the virus.
Here are the top global developments this morning:
- As per China’s national health authority, the country reported nine new coronavirus cases on Sep 16.
- Israel’s Health Ministry reported 6,063 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, taking the case-count to 170,465.
- Israel saw the highest single-day rise in COVID-19 cases since the outbreak of the pandemic in the country.
- US President, Donald Trump has said that one person from the White house staff has tested positive for COVID-19.
- Mask is not more effective than a vaccine, says US President Donald Trump.
- “We are on track to deliver and distribute the vaccine in a very safe and effective manner. We think we can start sometime in October. So as soon as it is announced, we would be able to start mid-October on — maybe a little bit later but, we will be all set. So as soon as it is given the go-ahead, we will get it out,” Trump told the media in Washington.
- The United Kingdom recorded nearly 4,000 new COVID-19 cases for the first time since May.
- AstraZeneca’s trial illnesses may not be due to Covid-19 shot: Oxford University.