India’s COVID-19 case tally crossed 50-lakh mark on Wednesday with a spike of 90,123 new cases and 1,290 deaths in the last 24 hours.
The total case tally now stands at 50,20,360, including 9,95,933 active cases, 39,42,361 cured/discharged/migrated and 82,066 deaths, according to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
Here are the top 10 developments in India this morning:
1. 20,482 new COVID-19 cases and 515 deaths reported in Maharashtra on Tuesday; 19,423 patients discharged. Total cases in the state rise to 10,97,856, including 30,409 deaths and 7,75,273 patients discharged. Active cases at 2,91,797: Public Health Department, Maharashtra
2. Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh, Pema Khandu on Tuesday tested positive for COVID-19.
I had undergone Covid test RT-PCR and have tested positive for Covid19.
I am asymptomatic and feeling healthy. However as per SOP and safety of others, I am self isolating myself and request everyone who came in contact with me to adhere to the SOP.
— Pema Khandu པདྨ་མཁའ་འགྲོ་། (@PemaKhanduBJP) September 15, 2020
3. The total number of COVID-19 cases in Delhi rose to 2,25,796 with 4,263 new positive cases and 36 deaths reported on Tuesday. The numbers of active and recovered cases are 29,787 and 1,91,203, respectively. Death toll at 4,806: Delhi Government
4. Plasma therapy has been used for more than 100 years now in some form or the other for various virus infections. It is being used in COVID-19. Whether it helps or not is being studied: Dr Balram Bhargava, DG, ICMR
5. The country’s average positivity rate is 8.4%, said Rajesh Bhushan, Secretary, Union Health Ministry in a media briefing on Tuesday.
6. West Bengal reported 3,227 new COVID-19 cases and 59 deaths on Tuesday, taking total cases to 2,09,146, including 1,81,142 discharges, 23,942 active cases and 4,062 deaths: State Health Department
7. Karnataka reported 7,576 new COVID-19 cases, 7,406 discharges and 97 deaths on Tuesday, taking total cases to 4,75,265, including 3,69,229 discharges and 7,481 deaths: State Health Department
8. 1,329 new COVID-19 cases reported in Jammu and Kashmir on Tuesday; 741 from Jammu division and 588 from Kashmir division. Total number of cases now at 56,654, including 18,678 active cases, 37,062 recoveries and 914 deaths: Govt of Jammu and Kashmir
9. Punjab recorded 2,481 new COVID-19 cases and 90 deaths on Tuesday, taking the total number of cases to 84,482, including 60,814 recoveries, 21,154 active cases and 2,514 deaths: State Health Department
10. 1,391 new COVID-19 cases detected in Uttarakhand on Tuesday. Total positive cases in the state are now 34,407, including 10,739 active cases and 23,085 recovered cases: State Health Department