The number of coronavirus cases recorded around the world has now climbed to 28.66 million, according to the Johns Hopkins University tracker. Deaths from the virus stand at 919,094. However, over 19.35 million people have been recovered from the virus.
Here are the top global developments this morning:
1. Oxford University has said that clinical trials of its vaccine are to resume in the UK. Trials of the treatment under development with the pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca halted last Sunday when a participant fell ill.
2. French health authorities reported 10,561 new confirmed coronavirus cases in the past 24 hours, a new daily record as the number topped 10,000 for the first time.
3. Russia reported 5,488 new coronavirus cases on Saturday, bringing the tally to 1,057,362, the fourth largest in the world.
4. In Australia, Victoria has recorded 41 new cases and seven deaths on Sunday. The Australian state continues to be in hard lockdown with Melbourne under nightly curfew.
5. New Zealand reported two new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, said the Ministry of Health in a statement, with one health worker testing positive.
6. The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Germany increased by 948 in the past 24 hours, data from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases showed on Sunday. Germany has over 260,000 confirmed COVID-19 infections, with 9352 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University.
7. The Netherlands has reported 1,231 new cases of coronavirus, as well as one further death.
8. India’s COVID-19 case tally crossed 47 lakh-mark on Sunday after a spike of 94,372 new cases and 1,114 deaths reported in the last 24 hours.
9. China on Sunday reported 10 new coronavirus cases in the mainland for September 12, compared with six cases a day earlier, the health authority said.
10. Brazil confirmed 33,523 new coronavirus cases over the past 24 hours and more than 800 new deaths from Covid-19 were registered in that period, the country’s Health Ministry said.