With an increase of 65,002 coronavirus cases and 996 deaths reported in India in the last 24 hours, the coronavirus count in the country crossed 25 lakhs on Saturday.
Here are the top 10 developments in India this morning:
1. As per the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) data, the tally rose to 25,26,193, including 6,68,220 active cases, 18,08,937 discharged and migrated, and 49,036 deaths.
2. According to the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), 2,85,63,095 samples were tested for COVID-19 up to August 14. Of these, 8,68,679 samples were tested yesterday.
3. Prime Minister Narendra Modi, in his speech on the occasion of India completing 73 years of independence, said the country has been testing three coronavirus vaccines. He said the road map of production and distribution of the coronavirus vaccine is ready.
4. Maharashtra remains the worst-hit state by the pandemic with a total of 1,51,865 active cases while 4,01,442 patients have recovered in the state. The death toll due to the disease is presently 19,427 in the state.
5. Active cases in Tamil Nadu stands at 53,716, while 2,67,015 patients have been cured and the disease has claimed 5,514 lives in the state.
6. In Andhra Pradesh, there 89,907 active cases while 1,80,703 patients have been cured so far. The infection, however, has led to the death of 2,475 patients.In Delhi, there are 11,366 active cases and 1,35,108 recovered patients. The toll due to the disease stands at 4,178.
7. 2,706 COVID cases detected out of 49,603 tests conducted in Assam in the last 24 hours, taking total cases to 74,501 including 49,383 recovered cases, 24,940 active cases and 175 deaths.
8. Kerala: Thiruvananthapuram Disaster Management Authority issues guidelines for re-opening of gyms, salons and beauty parlours. Gyms will need to provide oximeters to record oxygen saturation and salons will need to adopt token system of appointment for stagger client entry.
9. 797 new COVID19 cases and 7 deaths reported in Haryana today, taking total number of cases to 45,614 and death toll to 518.
10. Lav Agarwal, Joint Secretary in the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, has tested positive for coronavirus.