Single-day spike of 60,963 new COVID-19 cases and 834 deaths reported in India in the last 24 hours. The COVID-19 tally has now climbed to 23,29,639, including 6,43,948 active cases, 16,39,600 cured/discharged/migrated and 46091 deaths, according to the Ministry of Health Wednesday morning update.
Here are the top 10 developments in India this morning:
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday held a virtual interaction with Chief Ministers of 10 states to take stock of the COVID-19 situation
2. 11,088 new COVID-19 cases reported in Maharashtra on Tuesday, taking the total number of cases in the state to 5,35,601. There are 1,48,553 active cases and the death toll is at 18,306: State Health Department
3. Delhi reported 1,257 COVID-19 cases, 727 recovered/discharged/migrated cases and eight deaths on Tuesday. The total positive cases here has risen to 1,47,391, including 1,32,384 recovered/discharged/migrated cases and 4139 deaths: Delhi Government
4. Over 10 lakh Indians have returned from abroad after the government launched the “Vande Bharat” evacuation mission on May 7 in view of the coronavirus pandemic, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said on Tuesday.
5. The Jammu and Kashmir Government on Tuesday decided to allow a maximum of 5,000 pilgrims daily visit Shri Mata Vishno Devi shrine in Trikuta Hills near Katra from August 16 to September 30.
6. For the first time in the country, COVID fatality rate has fallen below 2% and is currently at 1.99%: Rajesh Bhushan, Secretary, Health Ministry said on Tuesday
7. Andhra Pradesh reported 9,024 new cases, taking the tally to 2,44,549. With 87 more fatalities, the death toll reached 2,203.
8. 5,834 COVID cases, 6,005 discharged and 118 deaths reported in Tamil Nadu on Tuesday. Total number of cases in the state is now at 3,08,649, including 2,50,680 discharged, 52,810 active cases and 5,159 deaths: State Health Department
9. Kerala recorded 1,417 new COVID cases, and five fresh fatalities took the death toll to 120.
10. Punjab recorded 1,002 new COVID-19 cases and 32 deaths on Tuesday, taking the total number of cases to 25,889, including 8,483 active cases and 636 deaths: State Health Department