Ten people lost their lives and more than 30 were rescued after a fire broke out at a hotel on Sunday, Vijayawada Police said.
The hotel is hired by a corporate hospital for treating COVID-19 patients. Krishna District Collector AMD Imtiaz said the probable cause of the fire could be a short circuit.
The incident took place around 5 am. Around 22 patients are being treated in hospital. We are evacuating the entire building. The reason of fire appears to be a short circuit, as per the preliminary report, but we will have to ascertain: Krishna DC Mohammad Imtiaz #AndhraPradesh pic.twitter.com/4a0qRgIpFc
— NewsMobile (@NewsMobileIndia) August 9, 2020
Andhra Pradesh government has announced Rs 50 lakhs ex gratia each to the families of those who lost their lives in the incident. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has condoled the loss of lives in the incident and assured all possible help to Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy.
ALSO READ: COVID-19 LIVE | India reports biggest single-day spike of 64,399 cases, tally reaches 21.53 lakh
Taking to Twitter, Prime Minister Modi wrote, “Anguished by the fire at a Covid Centre in Vijayawada. My thoughts are with those who have lost their loved ones. I pray that the injured recover as soon as possible. Discussed the prevailing situation with AP CM YS Jagan Mohan Reddy Ji and assured all possible support.”
Anguished by the fire at a Covid Centre in Vijayawada. My thoughts are with those who have lost their loved ones. I pray that the injured recover as soon as possible. Discussed the prevailing situation with AP CM @ysjagan Ji and assured all possible support.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) August 9, 2020
Meanwhile, CM Reddy expressed shock and grief over the fire incident and instructed officials to conduct an enquiry into the accident.
(With ANI inputs)