Today is the 129th day since India implemented a nationwide lockdown, to help curb the novel coronavirus pandemic. So far, India has recorded 15,83,792 confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 34,193 deaths.
Here are the top 10 developments in India this morning:
1. Total confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infections in India stands at 15,31,669. This number includes cases related to foreign nationals, reported active cases, patients who have recovered and the COVID-19 death toll in the country.
2. 9,88,029 patients have recovered, 34,193 have died. Total reported active cases in the country stand at 5,09,447. Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Delhi are the worst-affected.
3. The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has said that 1,81,90,382 samples were tested for COVID-19 in the country till yesterday (July 29). Of these, 4,46,642 were tested yesterday.
4. The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) yesterday issued new guidelines for opening up of more activities in areas outside containment zones, as a part of Unlock 3.0, which will come into effect from August 1. The process of phased re-opening of activities has been extended further.
As per the guidelines, yoga institutes and gymnasiums will be allowed to open from August 5; the Health Ministry will issue a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for this.
5. Assam recorded four more COVID-19 deaths yesterday, taking the toll to 92 as 1,348 new cases of the infection pushed the tally in the state to 36,295, Minister for Health and Family Welfare Himanta Biswa Sarma said.
Of the total 36,295 cases, 92 have died, 8,368 are active, 27,832 were discharged after recovery and three migrated out of the state, the minister added.
6. Maharashtra government has allowed opening of malls, market complexes without theatres, food courts and restaurants between 9.00 am and 7.00 pm from August 5.
7. The Maharashtra government has extended lockdown in the state till August 31 in view of rising coronavirus cases, which crossed the four-lakh mark yesterday.
As part of the ‘Mission Begin Again’ initiative, malls and market complexes without theatres, food courts and restaurants will be operational between 9.00 am and 7.00 pm from August 5.
8. Odisha’s COVID-19 tally surpassed 29,000 yesterday after 1,068 people tested positive for the virus, while the death toll rose to 159 with five more patients succumbing to the disease, a health department official said. The total number of coronavirus patients in Odisha now stands at 29,175.
The state also registered the highest single-day recovery of 878 patients, taking the total number of people cured of the disease to 18,938 — 64.9 percent of the total caseload. The state now has 10,041 active cases.
9. An expert panel has sought clarifications from Serum Institute of India (SII) over its application to the Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) seeking permission for conducting phase 2 and 3 human clinical trials of the Oxford vaccine candidate for COVID-19.
10. The number of recoveries in India crosses the 10-lakh mark, reports ANI citing the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.