After ordering closure of the Chinese Consulate in Houston, Trump administration, China’s protests notwithstanding, is now mulling closure of additional Chinese diplomatic missions.
US President Donald Trump said on Wednesday (local time) that his administration does not rule out closing additional Chinese diplomatic missions in the United States.
“As far as closing additional embassies, it’s always possible. We thought there was a fire in the one we did close, I guess they were burning documents and papers. I wonder what that is all about,” Trump said during a daily press briefing at the White House when asked if he planned to close more Chinese diplomatic missions in the country.
Earlier on Wednesday, the US State Department ordered China to close by Friday its consulate in Houston, Texas, over accusations that it engaged for years in massive illegal spying and influence operations in the US.
Regarding the same, State Secretary Mike Pompeo said, “It’s not just American intellectual property been stolen, it’s been European intellectual property too, causing hundreds – costing hundreds of thousands of jobs, good jobs for hard-working people all across Europe and America stolen by the Chinese Communist Party.”
“We are setting out clear expectations for how the Chinese Communist Party is going to behave, and when they do not, we are going to take actions that protect the American people, protect our security, our national security, and also protect our economy and jobs. That’s the actions that you’re seeing taken by President Trump. We will continue to engage in those,” Pompeo told reporters further.
On Tuesday, the US Department of Justice convicted two Chinese nationals of spying charges for targeting computer networks of biotech firms around the world working on coronavirus vaccines, technology and treatments.
ALSO READ: Red Alert: US accuses two Chinese hackers of stealing secrets including COVID-19 vaccine data
The 11-count indictment alleges two hackers – 34-year-old Li Xiaoyu and 33-year-old DONG Jiazhi, worked with the Guangdong State Security Department (GSSD) of the Ministry of State Security (MSS), while also targeting victims worldwide for personal profit, besides working for the benefit of the MSS or other Chinese government agencies. The hackers stole terabytes of data which comprised a sophisticated and prolific threat to US networks.
The accused – Li and Dong – who were trained in computer applications technologies at the same Chinese university, conducted a hacking campaign lasting more than 10 years to the present, targeting companies in countries with high technology industries, including the United States, Australia, Belgium, Germany, Japan, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Spain, South Korea, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.
Relations between the US and China have worsened in recent times over a range of issues.
China’s move to impose national security law in Hong Kong, its human rights violation in Xinjiang and territorial aggression in the South China Sea have all drawn fierce criticism from Washington.
Accusing China of bullying smaller countries, US Defence Secretary Mark T Esper on Tuesday vowed to deter against China’s “coercive behaviour” in the South China Sea.
(With ANI inputs)
Click here for Latest News updates and viral videos on our AI-powered smart news
For viral videos and Latest trends subscribe to NewsMobile YouTube Channel and Follow us on Instagram