Globally, there are more than 12.87 million infections and 568,511 deaths. However, 7 million people have been recovered from the virus, according to Johns Hopkins University’s coronavirus tracker
Here are the top 10 global developments this morning:
1. The World Health Organization reported a record increase in global coronavirus cases on Sunday, with the total rising by 230,370 in 24 hours.
2. Mexico’s coronavirus death toll passed Italy’s on Sunday, becoming the fourth-highest globally, with at least 35,006 fatalities over the course of the pandemic so far, AFP reported.
3. The US state of Florida has registered 15,300 new infections on Sunday, the biggest daily increase in recorded coronavirus cases in any US state since the beginning of the pandemic.
4. The Australian state of Victoria has recorded 177 new cases of coronavirus in the last 24 hours. It brings the state total to 3,967. More than 22,000 people were tested on Sunday.
5. The Philippines’ health ministry on Monday confirmed 162 new coronavirus deaths, the country’s biggest single-day increase in casualties. The ministry said total deaths had reached 1,534, while confirmed infections rose 2,124 to 56,259.
6. Brazil registered 631 new deaths on Sunday, with a new total of 1,864,681 confirmed cases, the Health Ministry said.
7. The government of Spain’s Catalonia region on Sunday ordered residents in and around the north-eastern city of Lleida to go back into home confinement as cases of coronavirus rose.
8. Jordan’s King Abdullah II said Sunday that his country had brought coronavirus under control and that it was time to focus on restarting the economy.
9. The Palestinian Authority on Sunday imposed a night-time and weekend curfew on the occupied West Bank for the coming 14 days to try to rein in rising coronavirus numbers.
10. Nightclubs and discos in Bulgaria will be allowed to reopen, just three days after all indoor bars were ordered to shut and despite a continuing rise in coronavirus cases in the country.