India reported 551 deaths and the highest single-day spike of 28,637 new COVID-19 cases in the last 24 hours.
According to the Health Ministry Sunday morning update, total confirmed cases in the country now climbed to 8,49,553. There are now 2,92,258 active cases and 5,34,621 people have cured/discharged/migrated. The death toll now stands at 22,674.
Here are the top 10 developments in India this morning:
1. Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan, his son and actor Abhishek Bachchan have tested positive for COVID-19 on Saturday and have been admitted to Mumbai’s Nanavati Hospital.
2. The Delhi government has decided to cancel exams for all the state government-run varsities in the national capital.
3. Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday lauded the efforts of the Centre, state and local authorities in containing the COVID-19 situation in Delhi and directed that similar approach be adopted by the other state governments in checking the pandemic in entire NCR.
4. Amid a spike in COVID-19 cases, the Karnataka government Saturday announced a complete lockdown from July 14 to July 22 in Bengaluru.
5. Chief Ministers of Delhi and West Bengal, Arvind Kejriwal and Mamata Banerjee respectively, on Saturday wrote to PM Modi over the new UGC guidelines to conclude the final-year examinations of the universities by September-end and said such a decision during the prevalence of the pandemic would adversely affect the students.
6. Former Indian opener Chetan Chauhan tested positive for novel coronavirus Saturday. He has been admitted in a hospital in Lucknow.
7. 8,139 COVID-19 cases, 4,360 discharged and 223 deaths reported in Maharashtra on Saturday. Total number of cases in the state is now at 2,46,600, including 99,202 active cases, 1,36,985 discharged and 10,116 deaths: State Health Department
8. The number of coronavirus recoveries in the country crossed 5-lakh mark on Saturday, the Union Ministry of Family and Welfare said and attributed it to a number of measures taken by the Centre and the state governments.
9. Meghalaya on Saturday announced that it would be declaring lockdown in Shillong City for two days.
The Government has decided to observe the next two working days i.e on the 13 & 14th of July, 2020 as Total #Lockdown in the Shillong City agglomeration.
During this time, Shillong city and surrounding areas shall be under curfew till 6 AM of the 15th of July, 2020.
— Conrad Sangma (@SangmaConrad) July 11, 2020
10. 45 COVID-19 cases and 12 discharged/cured reported in Uttarakhand on Saturday. Total number of cases in the state is now at 3,417, including 2,718 recovered, 623 active cases & 46 deaths: State Health Department