India reported 482 deaths and 22,752 COVID-19 cases in the last 24 hours, taking the total number of casualties to 20,642 and the total number of infections to 7,42,417 till July 7.
Here are the top 10 developments in India this Wednesday:
1. Maharashtra reported 6,603 new COVID-19 cases and 198 deaths today, taking the total number of cases to 2,23,724 including 1,23,192 recoveries and 9,448 deaths. Number of active cases stands at 91,065: State Health Department
2. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday announced that lockdown will be imposed in containment zones in West Bengal for 7 days, starting 5 pm Thursday.
3. Union Cabinet Minister Prakash Javadekar said, “Cabinet has approved the extension of the scheme where government pays contributions of employee and employers till August.”
4. Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren has quarantined himself at his Ranchi residence after a cabinet minister whom he had met recently tested positive for COVID-19.
5. 2,062 new COVID-19 cases and 54 deaths reported in Karnataka in the last 24 hours, taking the total number of cases to 28,877 and death toll to 470. Bengaluru has the highest number of cases at 12,509: State Health Department
6. Tamil Nadu on Wednesday reported 3,756 new COVID-19 cases and 64 fatalities. Of the total number of new cases, 1,261 are from Chennai.
7. The Uttar Pradesh government on Wednesday announced a three-day special cleanliness campaign to curb the spread of COVID-19 infection and other communicable diseases.
8. 783 COVID-19 positive cases and 16 deaths reported in Gujarat in the last 24 hours. State tally rises to 38,419 including 27,313 cured/discharged and 1,995 deaths: State Health Department
9. Punjab reported 158 new COVID-19 cases and three deaths in the last 24 hours, taking active cases to 1,901 and death toll to 178: State Health Department
10. Uttarakhand reported 28 new COVID-19 positive cases on Wednesday, taking the total number of cases to 3258 including 2650 recoveries, 534 active cases and 46 deaths. Percentage recovery for COVID19 patients in the state is 81.34%: State Health Department