With 8,909 new COVID-19 cases – highest ever single-day spike – being reported in the 24 hours, India has surpassed 2 lakh cases on Wednesday, nearly doubling over 15 days.
Here are the top 10 developments in India this Wednesday:
1. Tamil Nadu on Wednesday, for the first time, saw a spike in single-day cases as it reported 1286 coronavirus infections taking the tally to 25,872 cases.
2. 2,560 more COVID-19 cases and 122 deaths reported in Maharashtra today. The total number of cases in the state is now at 74,860, including 2587 deaths. 32329 patients recovered so far: State Health Department
3. The Union Cabinet on Wednesday approved an amendment to the Essential Commodities Act of 1955 to deregulate agricultural commodities like cereals, pulses, oilseeds, onions and potatoes.
4. Karnataka’s COVID19 tally crossed 4000-mark with 267 new cases reported in the last 24 hours. Total 4063 cases with 53 deaths and 1514 cured.
5. The United States to ship the first tranche of 100 donated ventilators to India next week, ANI reported.
6. Under Mission Vande Bharat, Air India will be operating 75 flights from India to select destinations in USA and Canada from 9th to 30th June 2020: Air India
7. 82 new COVID-19 cases reported in Kerala today. Currently, there are 1,494 cases in the state of which 632 are active: CM Pinarayi Vijayan
8. Indian Railways has refunded Rs 1885 Crores towards cancellation of tickets to passengers during the period March 21 to May 31, 2020, on tickets booked through the online mode.
9. It also said that the operation of Shramik trains from Delhi ended as no new demand emerged from the Delhi government. A total of 242 trains originated from railway stations in Delhi since May 1; 101 went to Uttar Pradesh, 111 trains terminated in Bihar.
10. Madhya Pradesh reported 168 fresh cases of COVID-19 and seven deaths today, taking the total number of cases to 8,588 and death toll to 371. Number of active cases stands at 2,772: State Health Department