Coronavirus cases in India surpassed 1.98 lakh tally on Tuesday as it registered a jump of 8,171 Covid-19 infections in the past 24 hours.
Here are the top 10 developments in India this morning:
1. India reports 8,171 new cases in 24 hours, taking the overall tally to 1,98,706. As many as 204 more deaths were also reported in this period, taking the overall toll to 5,598, according to the latest update by the health ministry.
2. Maharashtra continues to be the worst-affected state, with 70,013 cases and 2,362 deaths. This is followed by Tamil Nadu, which has 23,495 cases and 184 deaths, and Delhi, with 20,834 cases and 523 deaths.
3. Among other states/UTs where corona cases have surged past 2,000-mark are West Bengal (5,772), Bihar (3,926), Andhra Pradesh (3,783), Karnataka (3,408), Telangana (2,792), Punjab (2,301), Jammu and Kashmir (2,601), Haryana (2,356) and Odisha (2,104).
4. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will deliver the inaugural address at CII Annual Session 2020- “Getting Growth Back” at around 11 am on Tuesday. This will be PM Modi’s first major speech on the Indian Economy since the announcement of Unlock-1.
5. India’s drug regulator has granted US pharma giant Gilead Sciences marketing authorisation for its anti-viral drug remdesivir for ‘restricted emergency use’ on hospitalised COVID-19 patients in view of the crisis posed by the pandemic.
6. Mizoram chief minister Zoramthanga on Tuesday said that 12 fresh coronavirus cases were reported in Zoram Medical College. On Monday, the state government extended the lockdown for another month till 30 June.
The decision was taken after continuous rise in COVID-19 cases, especially its neighbouring northeastern states and the return of a large number of stranded people from other states.
7. With 156 new infections, Odisha on Monday registered its highest single-day spike of coronavirus cases, taking the state’s tally to 2,104. As many as 119 patients also recovered from the coronavirus which is also the highest in a single day in the state. Of the total 2,104 cases, 1,245 patients have recovered so far. With fresh cases and recoveries, the number of active cases dipped to 850 from 969, a health official said.
8. Over 38 per cent active cases of coronavirus in Himachal Pradesh are in Hamirpur district alone, officials said on Monday. The number of total cases in Hamirpur stands at 112 against 340 in the state.
9. As the Delhi government allowed the reopening of the markets and shops in the city, people have started arriving at the Ghazipur fruit and vegetable market to make purchases even as the coronavirus cases in the city continue to rise.
— ANI (@ANI) June 2, 2020