India reported 8,392 fresh cases in the last 24 hours, taking the total number of infections to 1,90,535 cases on Monday. The death toll has increased to 5,394 as 230 deaths were recorded in the last one day.
Here are the top 10 developments in India this morning:
1. The Unlock 1 begins on Monday with state governments across the country rallied to open the economy.
2. With 1,90,535 lakh cases of coronavirus, India has reported more cases than France’s marginally lower 1,89,009 and climbed to seventh from the ninth spot in the list of 10 nations worst hit by the coronavirus pandemic.
3. Railways to run 200 special trains across the country from today. These services will be in addition to Shramik Special trains. More than 1.45 lakh passengers to travel on Day 1.
3. Maharashtra has extended the lockdown till June 30. All markets, market areas and shops, except malls, will be allowed to open in Maharashtra from June 5 on the odd-even basis in non-containment zones.
4. The UP government on Sunday allowed interstate travel but Delhi-Noida and Delhi-Ghaziabad borders to remain sealed.
5. Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat and several state ministers were placed under home quarantine on Sunday after Tourism Minister Satpal Maharaj, who had attended a Cabinet meeting on Friday, was tested positive for COVID-19.
6. For the fourth day in a row on Sunday, Delhi reported over 1,000 cases of the coronavirus disease (Covid-19), with 1,295 infections taking the city’s total tally to 19,844.
7. Extending the lockdown in containment zones till June 30, the Telangana government lifted the restrictions on inter-state movement of people. Certain restrictions currently in force in non-Containment Zones would, however, remain extended till June 7.
8. The Karnataka government has lifted restrictions on the inter-state and intra-state movement of people and goods as it laid the roadmap for easing lockdown in a phased manner outside the containment zones.
9. The Tamil Nadu government extended the ongoing lockdown till June 30, albeit with more relaxations that included partial opening up of public transport and allowing more employees at workplaces.
10. The Punjab government Sunday issued fresh guidelines for the next phase of lockdown, starting June 1 and allowed the opening of places of worship besides shopping malls, hotels and restaurants from June 8.