India’s COVID-19 fatality rate reduced from 3.3% on April 15 to 2.87% which is among the lowest in the world, the Health Ministry in its daily media briefing on Tuesday.
Here are the key takeaways from the briefing:
– A total of 60,490 patients have recovered so far from COVID-19. India’s recovery rate continues to improve and presently it is 41.61%.
– The case fatality rate in the country is also showing a downward trend. From the case fatality of 3.30% as on 15th April, it is presently approx. 2.87% which is amongst the lowest in the world. The global average for case fatality is presently around 6.45%.
— NewsMobile (@NewsMobileIndia) May 26, 2020
– 4.4 deaths per lakh population have been reported for the world, while India has reported about 0.3 deaths per lakh population, which is amongst the lowest in the world. This has been due to lockdown, timely identification and management of COVID-19 cases.
– Compared to 69.9 COVID-19 cases per lakh population for the world as a whole, 10.7 cases per lakh population have been reported in India. This is due to the lockdown and our containment efforts.
– We have the lowest number of cases and deaths per lakh population: Lav Agarwal Joint Secretary, Health Ministry
– In India, we have a very high recovery rate and very low fatality rate and we have also ramped up testing: Balram Bhargava, DG, ICMR
– The testings have gone up in the last few months. 1.1 lakh samples are tested daily: DG ICMR
– We need to bring behavioural changes and continue with our efforts to prevent coronavirus from spreading: Lav Agarwal
– We don’t know what drug is working or not. A lot of drugs being repurposed for treatment or prophylaxis. Chloroquine in use for 100 years. HCQ is even safer: DG, ICMR
– In vitro studies that show that hydroxychloroquine has antiviral activity. It was very popular. US government thought so. We also thought it would be useful taking into account availability, biological plausibility etc: DG, ICMR
– Today we have about 612 labs — 480 public and 182 private labs for testing: ICMR
– We have very clear cut containment areas which are red zones; their seroprevalence is being studied can’t comment on community transmission before that: ICMR