India’s COVID-19 recovery rate is gradually increasing and has now improved to about 41%, said Health Ministry on Friday.
In its media briefing on COVID-19 pandemic, it also said the case fatality rate in the country has reduced from 3.13% to 3.02%.
In the past 24 hours, 3334 people cured, taking the total number of recovered patients to 48,534. Total 66,330 cases are under active medical supervision.
Key takeaways from the briefing:
– Till 1 pm today over 27 lakh tests have been done. This is the fourth day when we have done over one lakh tests in one day: ICMR
– Doubling time has come down from 3.5 days to 13.5 days because of the lockdown: Dr V K Paul member
– We took the decision of lockdown to control the chain of transmission of the virus to the extent possible; it has been implemented by the people of India very effectively, its an example to the world: Dr V K Paul member, NITI Aayog
– On an average, India has averted 37,000-78,000 deaths and 14-29 lakh cases, because of lockdown: Praveen Srivastava Secretary, Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MOSPI)
– The growth rate of new cases till April 3 was increasing at the rate of 22.6%, the behaviour of the virus was exponential. After April 4 there is a clear slowing of the growth and then it settled at 5.5% from 15-18-22: Dr V K Paul
– The growth rate of the virus was controlled by the country; you can imagine how it would have been if growth had continued at 22%: Dr V K Paul
– Around 80% of active cases in five states
Over 90% in 10 states
Over 60% in five cities
Over 70% in 10 cities
– Two independent economists have estimated that we have averted 23 lakh cases and 68000 deaths: Secretary, MOSPI
– According to some retired scientists, about 15.9 lakh cases and 51000 deaths have been avoided, my ministry worked with Indian Statistical Institute and found 20 lakh cases were averted: Secretary, MOSPI
– The challenge in modelling COVID-19 has been that there is no parallel here, for a pandemic like COVID-19; hence, we have been learning as we went along- Secretary, MOSPI
– Globally 80% of cases in five countries and 90% in 10 countries. We have limited the virus by the Union government, state governments and people: Dr V K Paul, NITI Aayog
– In less than two months we have 10,93 facilities with 1,85,306 beds; 2,402 facilities with 1,38,652 beds with oxygen facility. It has been used only in some places but preparation is national: Dr V K Paul, NITI Aayog