In a major bureaucratic reshuffle in the top bureaucracy of the Modi government, senior IAS officers Tarun Bajaj and Arvind Kumar Sharma were, on Sunday, moved out as secretaries in key ministries.
As many as 23 senior IAS officers have been appointed as secretaries in different central government departments as part of the bureaucratic rejig.
FOLLOW THE COMPLETE RESHUFFLE BELOW-
1. Tarun Bajaj, Additional Secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office, is appointed the new Department of Economic Affairs Secretary.
2. Arvind Kumar Sharma, Additional Secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office, is appointed the Secretary in the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) upon superannuation of incumbent Arun Kumar Panda on April 30.
3. Union Health Secretary Preeti Sudan, who was due to superannuate on April 30, is given a three-month extension as part of a major top-level bureaucratic reshuffle effected by the central government on Sunday amid the coronavirus crisis.
The decision stands significant as the Health Ministry is at the forefront of checking the spread of COVID-19 in the country.
4. Rural Development Secretary Rajesh Bhushan appointed as the Officer on Special Duty (OSD) in the Health and Family Welfare Department in the rank of secretary.
He is likely to take over as the secretary of the department after the expiry of Sudan’s extended tenure of three months.
5. Nagendra Nath Sinha will be the new Secretary of Rural Development Department in place of Bhushan. He is at present Secretary, the Department of Border Management in the Home Ministry.
6. Information and Broadcasting Secretary Ravi Mittal has been appointed as Secretary, Department of Sports.
7. Amit Khare, the Secretary of the Department of Higher Education, has been given additional charge as the Secretary, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
Khare has earlier served in the I&B Ministry.
8. Consumer Affairs Secretary Pawan Kumar Agarwal has been appointed as Special Secretary (Logistics) in the Department of Commerce.
9. Leena Nandan, the Special Secretary in the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways will be the Consumer Affairs Secretary in place of Agarwal.
10. Food and Public Distribution Secretary Ravi Kant has been appointed as the Secretary, Department of Ex-Servicemen Welfare.
11. Senior bureaucrat Sudhanshu Panday will be the Food and Public Distribution Secretary in place of Kant. Panday is currently Additional Secretary, Department of Commerce.
12. Road Transport and Highways Secretary Sanjeev Ranjan has been appointed as the Shipping Secretary upon the superannuation of incumbent Gopal Krishna on April 30.
13. Aramane Giridhar, the Additional Secretary in the Cabinet Secretariat will be the Secretary in the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways in place of Ranjan.
14. CBSE chairperson Anita Karwal has been appointed as the Secretary, Department of Education and Literacy. She is a 1988-batch IAS officer of Gujarat cadre.
15. Rameshwar Prasad Gupta, who is Karwal’s colleague from the same cadre, has been appointed as the Secretary in the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change. Gupta is currently Special Secretary, NITI Aayog.
16. Pradip Kumar Tripathi, the Special Secretary and Establishment Officer in the Department of Personnel and Training, will be the Secretary, Ministry of Steel. He is a 1987-batch IAS officer of Jammu and Kashmir cadre.
17. Tarun Kapoor, the Vice Chairman of Delhi Development Authority (DDA), has been appointed as the Secretary of the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas in place of M M Kutty, who superannuates on April 30.
18. Rajesh Verma, Special Secretary in the Department of Agriculture will be the new Secretary, Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
19. Anand Kumar, a 1984-batch IAS officer of Kerala cadre, will be the new Culture Secretary. He is at present Secretary in the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
20. Indu Shekhar Chaturvedi will succeed Anand Kumar to be the Secretary, Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
21. Ram Mohan Mishra has been appointed as the Secretary in the National Commission for Scheduled Castes. He is currently the Special Secretary and Development Commissioner in the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME).
22. Rajesh Kumar Chaturvedi who is currently the Special Secretary and Financial Advisor in the Culture Ministry, will now be the Secretary in the Department of Chemicals and Petrochemicals.
23. Ajay Tirkey, will be the Secretary in the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
24. Niten Chandra has been appointed as the Additional Secretary, Central Agency Section, Department of Legal Affairs.