At least 24 people staying at Markaz building in Nizamuddin area of the national capital have tested positive for coronavirus, Delhi Health Minister Satyendar Jain on Tuesday.
“All of them are being screened. We are not certain of the number but it is estimated that 1,500-1,700 people had assembled at the Markaz building. 1,033 people have been evacuated so far – 334 of them have been sent to the hospital and 700 sent to quarantine centre. Total 24 positive cases have been found so far,” he said while speaking to reporters
Delhi: People from Markaz building,Nizamuddin continue to be shifted to hospitals&quarantine centers. Around 1034 people shifted till now-334 to hospitals & 700 to quarantine centers, in at least 34 trips made by buses. 24 people, gathered here,tested positive for #COVID19 so far pic.twitter.com/Rq4wiCzo7g
— NewsMobile (@NewsMobileIndia) March 31, 2020
The minister also slammed the organisers of the religious event saying that they have ‘committed a grave crime’.
“The event’s organisers committed a grave crime. Disaster Act and Contagious Diseases Act was enforced in Delhi, no assembly of more than 5 people was allowed. Still, they did this. I have written to Lieutenant Governor to take strict action against them. Delhi government has given an order to file an FIR against the organisers,” the Health Minister said.
On Monday night, a total of 174 suspected coronavirus patients were admitted at Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narain Hospital, of which 163 people were from Nizamuddin.
On Sunday, March 29, 85 patients were admitted and 34 people were admitted on Monday. 34 more will be admitted, a senior official of the hospital said.
“A total of 174 possibly infected COVID-19 patients have been admitted at Lok Nayak Hospital, of which 163 patients are from Nizamuddin. 85 patients came yesterday while 34 were admitted today while 34 are coming to the hospital. We have made all arrangements for them,” the official told ANI.
Delhi: People boarding buses in the #Nizammudin area, to be taken to different hospitals for a checkup. A religious gathering was held in Markaz, that violated lockdown conditions and several #COVID19 positive cases have been found among those who attended the gathering. pic.twitter.com/9JanlNmSp9
— NewsMobile (@NewsMobileIndia) March 30, 2020
He said that the report of suspected patient of COVID-19 who died on March 29 is awaited.
“One suspected COVID-19 person from Nizamuddin who died yesterday, his reports are awaited,” the official told ANI.
“We have made all arrangements for the patients. We have 500-bed capacity as of now. At Lok Nayak, we have about 64 ventilators. GB Pant Hospital has 80 ventilators. As of now, all patients do not require ICU and ventilators,” the official added.
As per reports, around 8,000 people from across the country as well as Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Saudi Arabia attended a gathering at Alami Markaz Banglewali Masjid, the headquarters of the Tablighi Jamaat in the Nizamuddin area of South Delhi earlier this month. While many returned home, others stayed back at the mosque.
Earlier on Monday, the Police cordoned off some areas of Nizamuddin by placing barricades and were monitoring the movement of people through drones.
“COVID-19 has spread among some of those who attended a religious prayer meeting from 13th to 15th March at Markaz in the Nizamuddin area of Delhi. Among those, who attended were some persons from Telangana. Of them, six died”, said a statement from Telangana Chief Minister’s Office.
The country witnessed its highest single-day spike as 227 new cases came to fore with the death toll that now stands at 32. The country is under a 21-day lockdown to prevent the spread of coronavirus.