Amid the Coronavirus outbreak, organisers of the Mobile World Congress said that they have cancelled the world’s top mobile trade fair due to fears of the deadly virus.
One of the biggest events worldwide has been cancelled owing to the Coronavirus that has killed over 1,100 people so far.
The announcement came after the organising mobile trade association, GSMA, held a meeting to decide the fate of the event that had been planned to run in Barcelona from February 24-27.
“The GSMA has cancelled MWC Barcelona 2020 because the global concern regarding the coronavirus outbreak, travel concern and other circumstances, make it impossible for the GSMA to hold the event,” a statement said.
It said the decision was made with “due regard to the safe and healthy environment in Barcelona and the host country,” adding that host city parties understood the cancellation.
Just hours before the meeting took place, Vodafone, Nokia, Deutsche Telekom, Britain’s BT and Rakuten of Japan had pulled out, following in the footsteps of Intel, Facebook, Cisco and China’s Vivo.
(With agencies input)