Today in Parliament, both the houses held a discussion on the rising levels of pollution in Delhi-NCR and across the country, and the issue of stubble burning.
Here are the main highlights from the Parliament:
- Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar in Rajya Sabha said: “A comprehensive air plan for Delhi-NCR has been developed identifying the timelines and implementing agencies for actions delineated. Centre has notified a graded response action plan for Delhi-NCR for different levels of pollution.”
- Rajya Sabha discussed The Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill, 2019
- Rajya Sabha referred the Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2019 to Select Committee.
- Congress raised the issue of electoral bonds in Lok Sabha, saying it has made corruption “official”.
ALSO READ: Parliament discusses pollution; Prakash Javadekar calls for ‘Jan Andolan’ at national level
- Congress staged protests in the lower house against privatisation of a few PSUs, including Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL), and issuance of electoral bonds, terming the move as “big scams”.
- Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Manish Tewari said despite reservations expressed by the Reserve Bank of India and the Election Commission, the government went ahead with the scheme. Congress members later walked out of proceedings.
- “Please declare an environmental emergency. Hold people responsible and punish them,” said Jaya Bachchan in Rajya Sabha.
- Urge Prime Minister to call a meeting of state government leaders to find a solution on air pollution issue: Ghulam Nabi Azad in Rajya Sabha
- “The Delhi-Punjab debate misses the larger point that it is a perennial issue which bothers the whole country. Our GDP would be higher if we dealt with the issue of our air pollution,” said Congress leader Shashi Tharoor in Lok Sabha.
- During a discussion on air pollution in the upper House, Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman Harivansh Narayan Singh tells BJP MP Vijay Goel that he is not allowed to display objects in the House after he showed masks, mineral water bottles, air purifiers, and Delhi govt advertisements.
Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman Harivansh Narayan Singh says ‘you cannot display all these objects in the house’ after BJP MP Vijay Goel shows masks, mineral water bottles,air purifier pictures and Delhi Govt advertisements during debate on #AirPollution pic.twitter.com/DMUOB5CcaI
— ANI (@ANI) November 21, 2019
- Both Houses adjourned till tomorrow
The Winter Session of Parliament, which will observe 20 sittings, began on November 18 and will continue till December 13. This marks the 250th Session of Rajya Sabha.