PM Narendra Modi met his Brazilian counterpart Jair Bolsonaro on Wednesday on the side lines of the 11th BRICS summit in Brasilia.
Here are the key highlights of the meeting:
1. The Brazilian president will be the chief guest at the Republic day parade to be held on January 26th, 2020. This will also be a bilateral visit and the President has indicated that he will be accompanied by a business delegation when he visits New Delhi.
Also Read: NewsMobile Explainer: BRICS and India
2. Agricultural cooperation is central to the ties and in this regard, PM Modi expressed India’s desire to enhance ties and cooperate on post-harvest technologies, Animal Husbandry, agricultural equipments and bio-fuel.
3. The two sides also discussed matters pertaining to defence, space and strategic cooperation.
4. Brazil recently granted visa free travel for Indian nationals visiting for tourism and leisure. The Indian sides expressed its appreciation for this act.
5. The two nations cooperate in many multi-lateral fora including BRICS, IBSA,WTO and UN. In this regard, developments associated with them were discussed.
Often ‘tyranny of distance’ had prevented the two nations from coming together and developing strong and meaningful relationship. PM Modi has met his Brazilian counterpart on numerous occasions in the recent past and hopes to bridge this distance.