The 11th BRICS summit is taking place today at the Itamaraty palace in Brasilia city, Brazil. This is the second and last day of the summit and Prime Minister Narendra Modi while speaking at the conference called for closer cooperation between the member nations.
Also Read: NewsMobile Explainer: BRICS and India
Here are the highlights of the PM’S speech:
1. Our development processes have imbibed innovation in them, this is also apt with the theme of the current BRICS summit which is ‘economic growth for an innovative future’. In this regard, it is important to have intra- BRICS cooperation in the field of innovation.
2. In the next 10 years, BRICS vision and intra-cooperation strategies have to be discussed. Despite achieving success in some areas, cooperation in certain other areas has to increase.
3. BRICS nations despite have more than 40% of the population, account for only 15% of global trade amongst them.
— PMO India (@PMOIndia) November 14, 2019
4. India has recently launched the ‘fit India movement’ and we would like to encourage the members of the BRICS nations to have a dialogue in the area of fitness and wellness.
5. In the urban areas, sustainable water management and sanitation are important. I look forward to addressing the first BRICS Water Ministers meet in India.
6. BRICS ‘Strategies for countering terrorism’ will be holding their first seminar soon and I am happy about it. I am also confident that 5 other working groups and their activities will help fight terrorism and organized crime.
7. India believes in mutual recognition and granting of benefits in the areas of visa, social security arrangements and educational and professional qualifications.