The Centre on Tuesday restored the provision of ‘ration in kind’ for military officers posted in peace areas.
Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said, “I will leave no stone unturned to lift the morale of armed forces and support their families. By restoring Ration in Kind for officers of the three services I feel honoured that I got an opportunity to do something for the Armed Forces.”
On 1 July 2017, the government had withdrawn the facility given to armed forces officers and replaced it with an allowance. The decision to withdraw the facility was not taken well by the forces, who had not agreed to it.
After nearly 2 years, the government has agreed to take back its decision and restore the ration entitlement.
The said decision has been taken up by the government in view of the operational concerns being flagged by the armed forces on the issue.
The matter was pending with the Finance Ministry after the Army had sent a proposal through Defence Ministry last year.