The Supreme Court on Friday reserved order on Rafale review petitions against its December 14, 2018 judgement upholding the Rafale fighter jet deal.
— NewsMobile (@NewsMobileIndia) May 10, 2019
Earlier on May 7, three petitioners, former Union Ministers Yashwant Sinha and Arun Shourie and activist-lawyer Prashant Bhushan had claimed in the apex court that the Centre played fraud upon the court to obtain favourable order in the Rafale fighter jet case.
However, the Centre on May 4, told the Supreme Court in another affidavit that the decision of the Prime Minister’s Office to monitor the Rafale jet deal cannot be construed as interference as implied by a media report and cannot form the basis for review.
In March, the government had urged the court to dismiss the review petitions. However, on April 10, the Supreme Court had said it would go ahead with the hearings even if the petitions were based on stolen and classified documents.
A three-judge bench of the top court had on 10 April admitted three documents connected to the Dassault Rafale fighter jet deal as evidence in the review petitions and dismissed the Centre’s ‘preliminary objections’ to them.
The Supreme Court on December 14 last year gave a clean chit to the Centre on the procurement of 36 Rafale fighter jets from France.