As the digital content market is intensifying with the likes of Netflix, Amazon and Hotstar in the running to push maximum and quality driven content, the global leader Netflix has announced an array of original content to be released this year in India. Netflix tops the list of the video streaming services with huge content and now has upped its game by planning atleast 9 originals for the Indian market. The classic and the famous Netflix originals include ‘Black Mirror’, ‘Narcos’, ‘Stranger Things’ and the critically acclaimed documentary series ‘Wild Wild Country’ – all shows have their cult following in India and all over the globe. Netflix is also bringing 8 more films in addition to the 5 that have already been released.
Rivals Hotstar and Amazon also have big plans to compete with Netflix in this year. Hotstar has already tied up with 15 film-makers like Shekhar Kapur to produce exclusive content.
Here is the list of the 9 upcoming original series by Netflix:
1. Baahubali: Before The Beginning is available on Netflix outside India, is based on the global blockbuster franchise, ‘Baahubali.’ This will be a prequel to the series. The cast includes Mrunal Thakur as Sivagami, Rahul Bose as Skandadasa, Atul Kulkarni, Vaquar Shaikh, Jameel Khan, Siddharth Arora and Anup Soni.
2. Delhi Crime: A seven-part series written and directed by award-winning Indo-Canadian filmmaker Richie Mehta will be available on Netflix from March 22. The thriller series is based on the 2012 brutal gang rape case that took place in Delhi and rocked the entire nation.
3. Bard of Blood: Set against the backdrop of the Indian subcontinent, Bard of Blood follows the story of expelled Indian intelligence agent Kabir Anand, who is recalled from his new and subdued life as an English professor to save his country with a love angle to the plot.
4. Crocodile: This is a mystery thriller set in Goa where the plot revolves around a murder of a young adult. Written by Binky Mendez, the story features Mira who sets out on her own investigation, uncovering secrets among her friends, romantic relationships and community.
5. Typewriter is a Netflix Original revolving a group of wannabe ghost hunters who set out to explore a haunted house in Goa.
6. Leila: Based on a book by Prayaag Akbar, it tells the story of Shalini, woman who is searching for her daughter after she is released from prison after 16 years. Huma Qureshi Siddharth Suryanarayan will be seen in title roles.
7. Midnight’s Children, based on Salman Rushdie’s controversial book Midnight’s Children, follows the life of Saleem Sinai, born on the stroke of midnight on August 15, 1947, the time of India’s independence. The most remarkable aspect of the plot is that all of the 1000 ‘midnight children’ are blessed with telepathic powers linking them to each other.
8. Mumbai Indians: Netflix and Condé Nast Entertainment are collaborating to produce a series on the IPL franchise Mumbai Indians. The series will cover unseen aspects of the team, the compelling stories and characters.
9. Mighty Little Bheem is Netflix’s first Indian animated original series. It is based on Chhota Bheem, one of India’s favourite cartoon character.
Click here for Latest News updates and viral videos on our AI-powered smart news genie