US President Donald Trump addressed the annual State of the Union address after the temporary end on the longest shutdown in the US history.
“Now is the time for the Congress to show the world that America is committed to ending illegal immigration and putting the ruthless coyotes, cartels, drug dealers, and human traffickers out of business,” he said.
Here are the highlights of the speech
- More people are working now than at any time in the history of our country-157 million people at work.
- For the first time in 65 years the US has become a net exporter of energy.
On withdrawing American troops from Syria
- We have spent more than $7 trillion in the middle-east…. Great nations do not fight endless wars. We have taken a new approach.
- It is time to give our brave warriors in Syria a warm welcome home. I have also accelerated our negotiations to reach a political settlement in Afghanistan. My Administration is holding constructive talks with a number of Afghan groups, including the Taliban. We do not know whether we will achieve an agreement – but we do know that after two decades of war, the hour has come to at least try for peace.
Trump on China
- We are now making it clear to China that after years of targeting our industries & stealing our intellectual properties, the theft of American jobs & wealth has come to an end.
- Therefore, we recently imposed tariffs on 250 billion dollars of Chinese goods&now our treasury is receiving billions&billions of dollars. But I don’t blame China for taking advantage of us, I blame our leaders&representatives for allowing this travesty to happen.
Trump on Meeting with Kim Jong Un
- If I had not been elected President of the United States, we would right now, in my opinion, be in a major war with North Korea with potentially millions of people killed.
- Much work remains to be done, but my relationship with Kim Jong Un is a good one. We will meet again on February 27 and 28 in Vietnam.
On women’s contribution to the US’ economy
- No one has benefited more in America’s resurgent economy than women, who have got 58% of all the new jobs created.
- I am happy to say, that there are more women working now in the United States than ever did in its history… and here too… there are more women working in Congress than ever did in its history.
Donald Trump on Venezuela
- We stand with the Venezuelan people in their noble quest for freedom-and we condemn the brutality of the Maduro regime, whose socialist policies have turned that nation from being the wealthiest in South America into a state of abject poverty and despair.
Donald Trump On Illegal Immigration
- Tonight, I am asking you to defend our very dangerous southern border out of love and devotion to our fellow citizens and to our country.
— The White House (@WhiteHouse) February 6, 2019
Donald Trump on Mexico border wall
- In the past, most of the people in this room voted for a wall – but the proper wall never got built. I’ll get it built.
- Wealthy politicians push for open borders, while themselves living a safe, secure life behind walls, boundaries and gates… but the working class American pays heavily for this attitude of wealthy politicians. They have to deal with cheaper wages, drug-trafficking, lesser jobs, and much more.
On Criminal justice reform
- We have signed the first state act into law. It gives all non-violent offenders to re-enter society and contribute and live their life in dignity as a law-abiding citizen.
Trump on National Security
- Congress has only 10 days left… Republicans and Democrats must now come together to secure our southern border in order for our national security, and end the business of drug cartels and human traffickers, and show the world that when it comes to illegal immigration, America means business.
Trump on ‘partisan investigations’
- An economic miracle is taking place in the United States – and the only thing that can stop it are foolish wars, politics, or ridiculous partisan investigations.
- If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation. It just doesn’t work that way!
- By ‘partisan investigations’, he was referring to the reference to the Russia investigation currently being conducted by special counsel Robert Mueller.