The severe cyclonic storm ‘Phethai’ over west central Bay of Bengal has weakened into a cyclonic storm over west central Bay of Bengal, according to the ministry of earth science. It is likely to make landfall today afternoon around Kakinada.
In the past six hours the storm has moved further northwards with a speed of 24 kmph and weakened into a cyclonic storm, centred at 0830 hrs on Monday over west central Bay of Bengal.
A Red warning issued for Andhra Pradesh and Yanam (Puducherry) coasts. Red colour warning means take action and is different from a red alert. Twelve teams of NDRF are pre-positioned at Andhra Pradesh and Yanam to meet any eventuality.
— NDMA India (@ndmaindia) December 17, 2018
Phethai is likely to make landfall between Vizha and Kakinada today with 350 coastal villages put on high alert. The national and state disaster response forces being kept on standby along with 10,000 state government employees being deployed as part of disaster preparedness.
The Indian Navy, through the Eastern Naval Command, has for the past two days flown 11 sorties across the eastern coast and broadcast warnings to fishermen to stay away from the coastline.
In the view of the rainfall due to the cyclone, Indian Railways has cancelled 22 passenger trains, rescheduled and partially cancelled one train each
The Action suggested
- Total suspension of fishing operations along & off Andhra Pradesh coast on 17th December.
- The fishermen are advised not to venture into southwest & westcentral Bay of Bengal and along & off Andhra Pradesh, north Tamilnadu & Puducherry coasts till 17th December.
- The fishermen are advised not to venture along & off south Odisha coast on 17th December.
- Those, who are out in deep sea areas are advised to return to the coasts.
- It further asked residents of huts and petals to move to rehabilitation centers immediately and people in the lowland to immediately move to safe places
Heavy rainfall warning has been issued as follows
|Region||17 December 2018*|
|Coastal Andhra Pradesh and Yanam district (RED)||Rainfall at most places with heavy to very heavy falls at a few places over coastal Andhra Pradesh & extremely heavy falls (≥ 20 cm) at isolated places over north coastal Andhra Pradesh (East & west Godavari, Vishakhapatnam, Krishna, Guntur, Vizianagaram & Srikakulam Districts) and Yanam district of Puducherry.|
|Odisha (ORANGE)||Rainfall most places with isolated heavy to very heavy falls|
|Jharkhand (YELLOW)||Rainfall at many places with isolated heavy falls|
|Rainfall at most places with isolated heavy falls over south Chhattisgarh|
|Gangetic West Bengal
|Rainfall at most places with isolated heavy falls|
Red-Take Action; Orange- Be prepared; Yellow- be updated; Green: No warning
Click here for Latest News updates and viral videos on our AI-powered smart news genie