Over the past 30 years, Shatabdi Express has been serving the nation unconditionally, but now after a long haul, this train has given way to the new generation train replace it. T-18 or Train 18 is a pretty looking train and its trials were successfully carried out on October 29.
The introduction of Train 18 is a significant step towards modernisation of the Railways and gives a boost to the ‘Make in India’ initiative. Take a sneak peek into this revolutionary train that is set to redefine train travel in India. pic.twitter.com/9JpuxWpDW1
— Piyush Goyal (@PiyushGoyal) October 30, 2018
Train 18 has been manufactured by the Integral Coach Factory in Chennai and the total cost spent was Rs. 100 crore. After the trials, the train will become operational as the inter-city Shatabdi. It will be the first engine-less train in India.
Here are things you need to know about T-18.
- The train has automatic doors and a sliding footstep. Now you do not need to climb those high stairs of the train to board it. The doors open only when the train stops and the train resumes its voyage only when the doors close.
- 16 coaches have been made in the train that accommodate around 1000 passengers at a time. The coaches include two executive chair cars and 14 non-executive chair cars.
- The train is fully air-conditioned as comfort is the utmost priority for the passengers.
- It is expected that the train will reduce the travel time by 15% than the original Shatabdi Express and it will run at the speed of 160 kilometers per hour.
- Owing to the CCTV cameras installed in all the compartment, safety is now assured for all passengers in the train.
- Now using the washrooms on the train may not be worrisome as T-18 has fitted bio-vacuum toilets that leave zero discharge and the bathroom fittings are touch-free.
- The train provides free Wi-Fi and infotainment facilities and the passenger information is tracked on GPS.
- For the differently-able passengers, the train has special features such as toilets and wheelchair space in coaches.
- The train is designed intelligently keeping climate control in mind and the air-conditioning gets adjusted automatically according to the outside climate and number of passengers.
- Other features on the train include LED lighting, each seat with charging points below, reading lights that can be switched on and off by touch, innovative pantry services, auto-sensor taps, state-of-the-art luggage racks, and 360-degree rotating seats (in executive coaches).
The train is expected to take over the Delhi-Bhopal Shatabdi Express and Howrah-New Delhi Rajdhani and the trials have been on since October 29 from Integral Coach Factory in Chennai to November 7 in Delhi.
Here are some pictures shared by some Instagram users from their handles.
View this post on Instagram
View this post on Instagram
Inside India’s Fastest Train | 360-Degree Rotating Seats | Sliding Steps | successor to the 30-year-old Shatabdi Express | Watch much awaited Train 18 get details link in bio… #Train18 #TechnologyNews #Indian #TRAIN #fastest #achievementunlocked #trending #trendingnow #trendingnews #newsupdate #newsupdates #trains pc&vc-uploader