A woman in Gurugram died late night on Sunday while trying to help fellow residents of her condominium from a fire break out. The 33-year-old lady got suffocated to death but informed the neighbours by knocking on their doors and helped them escape.
The fire broke out at Tulip Orange condominium in Sector 69 Gurugram at around 2 am and the suspected cause of it was a short circuit in an electrical shaft of the ground floor that spread right till the ninth floor of the building.
The brave-hearted Swati Garg was lying unconscious near the terrace door of the condo after an hour of the fire. On reaching the hospital, she was declared dead.
A case has been registered against the developer and maintenance agency under Section 304 of the Indian Penal Code which means culpable homicide not amounting to murder at the Badshahpur Police Station.
Swati is survived by her husband, Girish Garg, a four-year-old daughter Anjali, and her mother Vaishali Tikekar who was visiting them.
The tower is occupied by 200 residents in 40 flats. Girish said that they realised a fire break out when they woke up after a power cut after 2 am. The family started rushing downstairs, but as they went further down, they realised that the smoke was too dense and started moving back upwards.
While moving up he was with their daughter and Swati was with her mother who is an asthma patient. Girish and his daughter took shelter in one of the vacant apartments upstairs and thought that Swati too did the same with the mother.
Swati went to the terrace on splitting with the mother and while moving up alerted residents on the fifth, sixth, and seventh floors. According to some residents who live on the top floor, she lost breath outside the terrace door as she could not unlock it and needed some fresh air immediately.