US President Donald Trump described the agreement with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un historic. He further said it was a great day and a great moment in the history of the world. “The first meeting between the President of the US and a leader of the North Korea was honest, direct and productive,” he said. “We are ready to write a new chapter between out nations,” he added.
Many things were achieved after the pact was signed, he added, including North Korea agreement to destroy a missile engine testing site.
The Big Takeaways from his briefing
- He said Kim is very talented as he had taken things in his hands at the age of 26.
- Sanctions, on North Korea, will remain in place till we are sure of complete denuclearisation (of DPRK).
- He said he would like to bring the 32,000 US soldiers, in south Korea back home, but it was not a part of the equation right now. “We will stop the very expensive war games,” he said referring to the exercises conducted with South Korea.
- No limit to what DPKR can achieve when it gives up nuclear weapons and opens up to commerce.
- “We will verify the denuclearisation of N Korea.”
- Chairman Kim has the opportunity to change the future for the people
- Remains of 6,000 US citizens to be brought back
- On human rights he said “I bought up the issue of human rights, we discussed it at length. Its a rough situation out there (North Korea).”
- He hopes the Korean War will finally end, more than 70 years after it began. The leaders of North and South Korea pledged to bring a formal end to the Korean War at another summit in April.
- Adversaries can become friends, he said in opening remarks.
- Work will start now and Mike and John Bolton, will hold follow-up meetings next week. We will also talk with China, Japan and South Korea.
Click here for Latest News updates and viral videos on our AI-powered smart news genie