Very little is known about the North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, who took over the reigns of the country in 2011. The main reason – North Korea’s isolation from the outside world for decades.
The only first hand account is by from the former NBA player Dennis Rodman. He says says ‘Kim is like a big kid, he wants to come to America” adding that “Kim is not a dumb man he wants to protect his honour.”
However, based on the observations of journalists, academicians and North Korea watchers certain interesting points have come to light. There is no way to verify, as activities within the state are shrouded in secrecy, earning it the moniker the Hermit Country. From the accounts available Kim is believed to be a friendly soul, a basketball fan and if rumours are to be believed, he, strangely enough, doesn’t need to answer the nature’s call.
- He is the youngest dictator in the world. The third head of the state from his family’s dictatorial dynasty, one of the last inherited absolute monarchies on earth. Wields unrivaled power in North Korea, commands nuclear weapons and intercontinental ballistic missiles.
- Kim’s official date of birth is January 8, 1982. But it is believed he is younger and was actually born in 1984. He wants to look older and more mature and the date has been changed to reflect that.
- He is the son of Kim Jong-Il and the grandson of Kim Il Sung, founder of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, the official name of the North Korean communist state.
- His eyebrows have been getting smaller over the years. It is said that he could be styling it after his father Kim Jong-Il.
- There are no childhood pictures of the leader. When some pictures were shown on the screen during a big military holiday in North Korea, there were claims to the contrary.
- It is said that he chose the girls for one of the most famous girl bands in the country “Moranbong”. The bands in North Korea have military orchestras and have to show how well the citizens live.
- He has several titles such as – The Main Leader of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, the Leader of the Party, and the People,” “The New Start”, “The Brilliant Comrade”, “The Genius Among Others”, “The Marshall of North Korea” (since 2012)
- He has a degree in physics from the University of Kim Il-sung and a degree in economics from the private University HELP in Malaysia.
- In a very prestigious school near Bern, Switzerland, there was a student from North Korea from 1998 to 2000. He was registered as a member of the embassy. He didn’t state what his real name was. It’s hard to tell if it was the future North Korean leader by looking at these photos. But the people who learned with him are absolutely sure that it was Kim Jong Un himself.
- The same school friends also claim that in his youth, Kim Jong Un used to draw the basketball star Michael Jordan. And it’s true that the politician loves basketball. In 2013, he even met Dennis Rodman and showed him his personal island.
- Rumour has it that he doesn’t trust barbers and cuts his hair himself. It’s a military haircut but he wears it in a peculiar way.
- And this is the strangest – He doesn’t need to visit the bathroom, at least that’s what the North Koreans believe.
Kim’s wife Ri Sol-ju
- Precious little is known about his wife Ri Sol-ju or Lee Seol-ju and outsiders have speculated about her. She is believed to be born to an elite family and has three children, though this is not known for certain.
- In April 2018, her title was elevated in state media from merely “comrade” to “respected first lady”, considered a significant honor and the first time the title has been used since 1974. Over the years, she has appeared in public with her husband but has been out of the public eye for extended period of times too.
- Before marrying Kim, South Korean intelligence reports have said, she once studied singing in China, and visited South Korea in 2005 as a member of North Korea’s cheerleading squad.