Prime Minister Narendra Modi on April 26 attacked the opposition for “indulging in lollipop politics of caste and religion”. He was speaking to 224 candidates, office-bearers and elected representatives of the BJP’s Karnataka wing and interacting with them via the NaMo app.
“We are fighting elections only on the issue of development. There is one aspect on which they (opposition) can never defeat us, that is our power as a party & the power of the party’s youth force, ” said Modi, who is expected to travel to Udupi on May 1, where he will be visiting the Shri Krishna Mutt, and will later address a massive public rally. Reports suggest the PM is likely to campaign for 6 days in the poll-bound state.
Karnataka will go to polls on 12 May and the results are expected on 15 May.
The PM used the video message to set the tone for his campaigning in the Karnataka polls and asked BJP workers to be prepared to keep the party in power till 2024. Meanwhile, Congress president Rahul Gandhi is scheduled to hold rallies at Ankola, Kumta, Honnavar and Bhatkal on April 26.
Quotable Quotes from the speech
- We have a three-pronged agenda for Karnataka: Development, fast-paced development, all round development.
- BJP has given priority to politics of development. Whereas previous governments used to hesitate to discuss development because it’s measurable.
- They fought on the issue of religion, caste, kept on giving lollipops to specific castes and kept on changing this equation. Used them for election and forgot.
- If you analyse the last few elections, you will realise how a few political parties have indulged only in dividing societies on religious lines. They exploit emotions of some community before elections and forget them after the elections.
- I’m also a Kannadiga, consider that and move forward. I will also work in the same spirit. Now our job is to reach each and every voter. This is my request.