The Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip has announced retirement from royal duties this autumn, Buckingham Palace has announced.
— The Royal Family (@RoyalFamily) May 4, 2017
The decision was made by Prince Philip himself and is supported by the Queen, a palace spokesman said.
Prince Philip turns 96 next month.
“His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh has decided that he will no longer carry out public engagements from the autumn of this year. In taking this decision, The Duke has the full support of The Queen,” a statement from Buckingham Palace said.
“Prince Philip will attend previously scheduled engagements between now and August, both individually and accompanying The Queen. Thereafter, The Duke will not be accepting new invitations for visits and engagements, although he may still choose to attend certain public events from time to time,” the statement added.